Eggs are a popular breakfast feast. In almost all types of cooking and baking, eggs are present and is also used in many types of cuisines. May it be in home-cooked meals or dine-out treats. Like what an articles said, “Eggs are instant food because they can be prepared on the spot, and a fast food because they can be served fast.” And most people would go for speedy egg meal orders.
With eggs performing a number of cookery functions including:
- a binder for patties or balls
- thickener for custards
- garnishing for noodle and salad dishes
- emulsifier and stabilizer for mayonnaise
- leavening for cakes and pastries
- protein for nutritional value
It is DIFFICULT to have a NO-EGG kitchen. Eggs provide nutritional value, color, volume, richness, tenderness and palatability to dishes.
But despite having these numerous functions of eggs, there are those who want to go EGGLESS for specific health reasons and or being animal right advocates. Which is why we need to consider these EFFORTLESS TIPS:
- For recipes that call for an egg or two, you can skip them. But if you want, you can just add water and/or vegetable oil to balance the moisture content.
- In making muffins and cookies, half of a mashed banana can be used instead of an egg, although it can change the flavor of the recipe somewhat. But it’s worth the risk and get to discover a new flavor!
- For vegetarian loaves and burgers, you can get to use tomato paste, mashed potato, moistened bread crumbs and rolled oats.
- In making pancakes, you can use pureed or chopped fruits. Add chopped nuts to provide the protein.
- For recipes that call for eggs as a primary leavening agent, you can 1-1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil mixed with 1-1/2 tablespoons of water and a teaspoon of baking powder per egg.
- While in making the usual scrambled eggs, here’s a great substitute:
- 1/2 kilo of mashed tofu
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 3 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Saute garlic and onions.
- Add the tofu, turmeric powder and salt
- Stir thoroughly until the mixture is in ‘egg-like’ color
- Cook until the raw flavor of tofu is gone.
To enhance the flavor, color, aroma, taste and nutritional value of your mocked scrambled egg, you can get to try:
- frozen green peas
- basil leaves
- chopped carrots
Source: Life hacks, Health&Home Food for the family, photos by fotolia.com, egg allergy substitution recipe
Hope you liked the blog:)